Fireworks New Year

Here Come Fireworks…

With New Year’s just around the corner, firework season is almost upon us and, there are a few things you may want to consider before attending a fireworks display. The astounding bang and glittery sparks produced by fireworks is an exhilarating experience, but the sound pressure could damage your hearing – unless you wear ear protection.


Fireworks produce 175 decibels of sound – much higher than the World Health Organisation’s recommended 140 decibel (dB) exposure for adults. For children, this exposure is only recommended to be 120dB. They also advise that infants are not exposed to the sound of fireworks at all.


Sounds such as that caused by fireworks, can lead to hearing loss – both temporary and permanent – and can cause tinnitus (ringing in the ears).


To protect yourself and your loved ones against potential hearing loss, there are a couple of things you can do:


  • First, keep your distance from the source of the sound. The further away you are from the explosion of the firework, the lower the decibels you are exposed to. Therefore less chance of affecting your hearing. With fireworks producing a decibel reading of 175dB, adults should be at least 15-20 metres away from the place of detonation, and children 50-60 metres.


  • Second, use ear protection such as ear plugs or headphones to protect your ears against the sound. Most hearing clinics – including ours – will have ear plugs in stock. Infants and children can wear headphones appropriate for the purpose of loud noises.


Speak to us to find out how we may help you with appropriate hearing protection. Stay safe this New Year’s and preserve your hearing – and that of those you love.

Scroll to Top