Hearing Loss is not a single disorder but a symptom of many possible problems.
It may be an issue as simple as earwax build-up. Hearing loss is sometimes sudden, in which case an urgent appointment is needed. However, Hearing loss is often gradual and might go unnoticed at first. Treating a hearing loss as early as possible will enhance the benefits and can prevent other underlying issues from appearing like dementia and Alzheimer’s, etc.
Hearing tests are quick and painless.
Testing procedures will go as followed:
- You will sit and answer a few questions about possible symptoms you may be having related to your ears. These may include; is there a ringing in your ears; any vertigo, discharge etc.
- Your ears will be examined using an instrument called an Otoscope. Most people are familiar with these small hand-held torches found in almost every type of medical clinic in the world. This instrument allows your entire ear from the outer portion to the eardrum itself to be examined. At this point, physical damage or abnormalities are being looked for.
- Depending on the physical examination of your ears, we may perform a number of specialised tests. For the majority of patients, a simple Pure Tone Audiometry (PTA) test is all that will be needed. Another testing that may be required for a full diagnostic Hearing Test includes Tympanometry or “Air, Bone and Speech” tests.
Pure Tone Audiometry.
During this test, headphones and sounds are used varying in volume and frequency. Using a press button your responses are noted on a graph and the results analysed. It is that simple and only takes a few minutes to perform. This test measures the levels at which you can hear different frequencies.
Tympanometry is an examination used to test the condition of the middle ear and mobility of the eardrum (tympanic membrane) and the conduction bones by creating variations of air pressure in the ear canal. Tympanometry is an objective test of middle-ear function.
Air, Bone and Speech.
- Air conduction is done also wearing headphones where sound is delivered from the ear canal through the middle ear system all the way up to the inner ear or cochlea.
- Bone conduction is measured via vibration on the mastoid (bone) where we bypass the middle ear system.
- A Speech Test is measuring the ability to perceive different speech sounds , giving the clinician a clearer picture of the patient’s functional hearing ability.
Our ability to perceive and understand speech is, by far, our most important hearing function.
Like most medical conditions, the earlier the cause of hearing problems are diagnosed the easier they are to treat. If you are experiencing hearing issues or your family friends keep telling you that you are, have your hearing checked. The process is simple, painless and takes mere minutes of your time.
Our audiologists are experts in their field. Beyond this, they are dedicated to making your feel comfortable and welcome. They always take time to explain what is being done and answer any questions you may have.
Whether the cause is benign or a sign of a more severe issue it pays to listen to your ears. Contact our team on:
$105 for the test will give you peace of mind and more information to guide you into the future. (Government Subsidies may be available for Pensioners and DVA card Holders)